Custom Home Building
Naperville Custom Home Building
With wider and often deeper suburban lots comes the opportunity for a customized home from the start to finish. The design options for for your custom built project grow with the increased lot sizes, but so do your taxes. It is important to keep focused on your priority list so you have the dream home you want. Keep in mind that larger lots will cause a need for a healthy landscaping budget and gives you the opportunity to work with a landscaping designer too. Suburban lots also can give the opportunity for main level master bedrooms, three car front load garages, and so much more.
WHAT TO EXPECT WITH YOUR CUSTOM BUILDING PROCESS
- Set the Appointment – Whether you have a lot picked out or you are completely new to the process, reach out to us so we can start answering your questions. Call text (847-423-6460) or email (Ryan@SGHomeBuilders.com), us so we can set a day and time that is convenient for you.
- Review your lot (if you have a lot to build on picked out) – We usually work in pairs with a sales representative and a project manager. We want to get to know you and allow you to meet us. This is a partnership and a long term project (6-12 months). We will spend a lot of time learning your objectives, budget expectations, and identifying your plans to pay for the project. We are also looking to identify your design expectations for the project. In addition to getting to know each other, we are also looking to figure out which architectural firm will be best suited for your project. By the end of our first meeting you will have a good feeling for us and walk away feeling confident that we can help you put your dream home to paper, and ultimately make it come to reality with custom building. If you do not have a lot picked out yet, it would still benefit to talk with us so we can discuss home size requirements that you have and give you a clear picture of the size of lot that you need to be looking for. We can assist you with researching for lots by referring you to one of our Realtor partners that are familiar with the area you are looking for a home in.
- Choosing an architect – A new construction home requires major structural decisions making to be made. Even if you found a plan set that is ideal for you online, you will need to review the structural support needed to allow for the layout to be possible. A licensed architect will be required to develop a plan set that meets city code. The architect will be the one that develops the initial layout with you, and makes adjustments to the plan based on your feedback. During your meeting with the architect we are very involved to assure your requests for changes are in line with your budget expectations. We do not want you developing your dream house, only to find you cannot afford it. Plan set development will take 45-90 days.
- Bid Development – Once your plan set has been developed we will sit down with you to review all details and discuss your budget allowances for finish work (tiles, hardwood flooring, cabinets, countertops, paint, trim details, etc). For full plan sets we will have our subcontractors review the details to develop hard priced bids. The plan set will include demo, structural and mechanical details to allow us to properly bid out the work before starting. With new construction homes your bids are very accurate, since we are working with a brand new property vs a rehab. Our bidding process will take 45-60 days.
- Meet for Proposal – Once your proposal has been created we will set up a face to face meeting to review the job scope of work, and the cost details. At this meeting you will have time to ask questions for clarification, review the drawing set, and review finish selection options previously discussed.
- Agree to Contract – After your proposal questions have been reviewed and you feel comfortable moving forward with us we will sign a legal contract, set payment plans and the timelines for the project. This will allow us to coordinate with our subcontractors and suppliers to organize your project before we start.
- Permit Application Submitted – Application paperwork will be completed and submitted for approval to begin work. In general this process will take 30-60 days before the permit will be issued.
- Selection Process – During this time we will layout your selection deadlines, you know the fun part. We highly recommend working with a designer to help you keep your head on your shoulders. Our referral partners have a proven process to keep the selections fun, on time, and on budget.
- Project Start – Now the fun will start. In general the tasks to be completed for your custom built home will be as follows:
- Demo (if existing property on site)
- Foundation and Footing Installation
- Underground Plumbing
- Steel beam installation
- Rough electric, plumbing and HVAC
- Painting First Coat
- Flooring Installation
- Trim and Cabinet Installation
- Tile Installation
- Countertop Installation
- Electrical, plumbing and appliances installations
- Painting Final plus trim paint
- Hardware installation and punch list creation
- Punch list and Project Completion