Chicago gray and brown stone homes have already withstood the test of time. In fact, all that stone and brick work has a character that is virtually impossible to replicate. As building costs have continued to rise, more clients are showing interest in converting their two flats into single family homes.
The house conversion process is extensive and requires expertise that we learned by renovating our own projects on a speculative basis. Often these gem homes are fit with basement ceilings that require full dig out and underpinning to raise the ceiling heights to modern levels. Steel lovers will fall head over heals with the installation of beams and columns required to give your two flat to single family renovation the open space on the main level. These house conversion projects can be as simple as adding an open stairway to the second level and as extensive as a full gut remodeling project that leaves only the exterior brick and stone that was used when the project started 100 years ago. Most contractors will avoid taking on these beastly projects, but we have a special place in our heart from them, and you will too once we complete your dream design. Call us today to discuss the process of finding a two flat home that is waiting to be de-converted, 847-602-7641.
WHAT TO EXPECT FOR YOUR TWO FLAT RENOVATION
- Set the Appointment – Believe it or not we can’t help you if you don’t contact us first. Call text (847-423-6460) or email (Ryan@SGHomeBuilders.com), us so we can set a day and time that is convenient for you.
- Review your home (if you have a home property picked out) – We usually work in pairs with a sales representative and a project manager. We want to get to know you and allow you to meet us. This is a partnership and a long term project (6-12 months). We will spend a lot of time learning your objectives, budget expectations, and identifying your plans to pay for the project. We are also looking to identify your design expectations for the project. This will allow us to determine which architect to refer you to. If you are still looking for a two flat to purchase and renovate, then your next step will be finding a home. If you have a home your next step will be:
- Choosing an architect – A two flat renovation requires structural changes, so a licensed architect will be required to develop a plan set that meets city code. The architect will be the one that develops the initial layout with you, and makes adjustments to the plan based on your feedback. If you plan to add an addition to the existing property this will be the time to develop the plans and layout with the architect. During your meeting with the architect we are very involved to assure your requests for changes are in line with your budget expectations. We do not want you developing your dream house, only to find you cannot afford it. Plan set development will take 45-90 days.
- Bid Development – Once your plan set has been developed we will sit down with you to review all details and discuss your budget allowances for finish work (tiles, hardwood flooring, cabinets, countertops, paint, trim details, etc). For full plan sets we will have our subcontractors review the details to develop hard priced bids. The plan set will include demo, structural and mechanical details to allow us to properly bid out the work before starting. With two flat renovations, we are working with an existing property so assumptions are taken and will be explained to you when the bid presentation takes place. Our bidding process will take 45-60 days.
- Meet for Proposal – Once your proposal has been created we will set up a face to face meeting to review the job scope of work, and the cost details. At this meeting you will have time to ask questions for clarification, review the drawing set, and review finish selection options previously discussed.
- Agree to Contract – After your proposal questions have been reviewed and you feel comfortable moving forward with us we will sign a legal contract, set payment plans and the timelines for the project. This will allow us to coordinate with our subcontractors and suppliers to organize your project before we start.
- Permit Application Submitted – Application paperwork will be completed and submitted for approval to begin work. In general this process will take 30-60 days before the permit will be issued.
- Selection Process – During this time we will layout your selection deadlines, you know the fun part. We highly recommend working with a designer to help you keep your head on your shoulders. Our referral partners have a proven process to keep the selections fun, on time, and on budget.
- Project Start – Now the fun will start. In general the tasks to be completed for your two flat renovation will be as follows:
- Basement Dig Out/Excavation
- New Foundation and Footings set
- Underground Plumbing
- Steel beam installation
- Rough electric, plumbing and HVAC
- Painting First Coat
- Flooring Installation
- Trim and Cabinet Installation
- Tile Installation
- Countertop Installation
- Electrical, plumbing and appliances installations
- Painting Final plus trim paint
- Hardware installation and punch list creation
- Punch list and Project Completion
For additional questions on how your two flat renovation will work, give us a call 847-423-6460.